I invented this recipe as a way to use old stale cinnamon buns without having to make strudel dough. It does, however, require linzer dough:
- 200 g butter
- 150 g sugar
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- ½ tsp salt
- 60 g finely ground walnuts*
- 70 g finely ground almonds
- 1 egg
- ¼ tsp vanilla, kirsch, or other liqueur
- 250 g all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- blend sugar, salt, butter, and spices until well mixed (not creamed until light!!)
- add almonds and walnuts and blend in
- add egg and flavorings. Mix until just absorbed
- Sift flour and baking powder, add, and mix just until evenly blended
For the tortlets I photographed above, divide the dough into 12 portions and press into tart tins. This should create shells about 5mm thick. Fill with the following:
Strawberry Strudel Filling
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled and chopped
- 150 mL strawberry dessert topping (as for waffles or ice cream)
- 1 - 2 finely ground cinnamon buns
- Mix it all together.
I love the taste of these things. It reminds me of the strawberry shortcake ice cream bars that Dickie Dee used to carry when I was a kid, waaaaay back when kids played outside (allowing Dickie Dee ice cream vendors the potential to make a profit, you see). Scrumptious strawberry nostalgia right there.
But I digress. I'm old.