Friday, January 15, 2010

The Good Neighbor

The position of "baker" is very enviable. Everybody likes the baker, as most people like some sort of baked goods. Aside from good old fashioned money, I've received no end of compliments, coffees, bacon, caramel machiattos, etc... in trade for my baking or the hopes that something will be baked in the near future.

What happened today though surprised me a little. Just before supper there was a knock at my door. I answered it to greet my neighbor, no doubt there to complain about the excessive dog poo, I surmised. But no! He had been out shopping and witnessed some guy saw through the head of a hammer with this fancy knife and had been so impressed that he had to buy one for his baker-cook-neighbor.

I wouldn't have considered this neighbor to be a friend, and to be honest, I can't even say I know his name. I see him on occasion when I take the dogs out and perhaps once a month when we pass in the halls of the college. What does one do in return for such a gesture as a random knife gifting?

Cinnamon Buns

Ingredients:
  • white bread recipe
  • ½ cup soft butter
  • ½ cup brown sugar
  • 1 tbsp cinnamon
  • raisins*, pecans, walnuts, orange zest, etc... (optional)
Method:


1. After dough has rested, roll into a 12" x 15" rectangle

2. Cream sugar, butter, and cinnamon together

3. Spread mixture evenly over dough and sprinkle with nuts, raisins, or whatever else your heart desires.

4. Roll from a short end of the rectangle and cut 2" slices.

5. Pan into medium/large muffin tins (lightly greased)

6. Let proof for about an hour

7. Bake @ 350° until tops are golden brown (about 25 minutes)

8. Let cool for 10 minutes and then plate for delivery to your neighbor who's name you don't know/can't remember.

I personally enjoy a little flat icing drizzled over the tops of these, but this is strictly optional and certainly doesn't make them any healthier. As it is, it's like eating candied bread. Mmmmmm.

*Raisins and other dried fruit should be plumped in boiling water before use

2 comments:

  1. I just need to point out, there is NOT an excess of dog poo in our yard! I've been cleaning daily!

    Don't tell the internet lies, husband! Especially not lies that disparage my house keeping! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww... but that's what the internets are for!!

    ReplyDelete